This program is designed to support individuals that are wishing to live independently in the community; however, require additional supports to help achieve and maintain their independence. These individuals often come from a supported living environment such as 24-hour care, foster home, home share, family home etc., and wish to be more independent.
Living in a SIL location will promote independence and offer the support required to foster a successful placement in the community as well as providing a level of support designed to meet the needs of the individual.
Support staff may visit a person daily or weekly depending on the individual's needs. Support staff will help individuals create their own care plan, set goals and assist the individual in achieving their goals. In addition to assisting individuals with activities of daily living, staff support individuals in many ways;
- Community based activities
- Referral service to other community partners as needed
- Support with medical needs (physical, dental, mental, vision etc)
- Social networking
- Life skills required to be independent
- Shopping (grocery, personal needs)
- Cultural and religious activities of their choosing
To apply for a SIL service, please contact Developmental Services Ontario at 1-855-376-6673 or visit their website.