SUPPORTED GROUP LIVING COUNSELLOR
Starting at $29.04/hour
OPTIONS NORTHWEST is accepting applications, from qualified team oriented individuals who are passionate about providing person centred supports to individuals to live life their way.
Reporting to the Area Supervisor, a Supported Group Living Counsellor will act as a positive role model to provide personal support and advocate for individuals with complex medical, developmental disabilities and conditions, and behavioural challenges, and in some cases mental health diagnosis. Support will be provided in a residential dwelling and within the community, to foster independence with daily decision making, involvement and participation in activities of daily living, social, vocational, leisure, health, safety and spiritual needs and skills.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Possess a completed post secondary education in a Human Services field.
- Experience supporting persons living with developmental disabilities, medical conditions, behavioural and physical challenges.
- Proven ability to follow detailed daily routine and shift duties as well as adaptability, in particular, to change an approach to support the individual’s changing needs.
- Experience supporting individuals who also have mental health diagnosis is considered a strong asset.
- An attitude that respects the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality
- Effective verbal & written communication skills & interpersonal & organizational abilities
- Excellent observational/analytical/assessment skills
- Ability to administer medications safely
- Ability to effectively respond to crisis situations & follow behaviour support plans
- Sounds knowledge of household management
- First Aid with CPR certificate
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Certification (NCI)
- A willingness and ability to work shift work on a casual/short notice basis
- Ability to participate in ongoing mandatory training
- Ability to follow agency directives and “duties of workers” under the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Valid driver’s licence and use of own vehicle may be required
- A current police records check (vulnerable sector) is a requirement, only upon a conditional offer of employment
OPTIONS NORTHWEST is committed to providing accommodations, on request throughout the interview and employment process, and if accommodation is required, we will work with applicants to meet their needs.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, detailed resume and agency application form, including copies of First Aid with CPR and NCI certificates, and 3 references to:
95 North Cumberland street
Thunder Bay, ON P7A 4M1
PHONE: (807) 344-4994
Fax: (807) 346-5811
We wish to thank all applicants who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org