LIFE SKILLS COUNSELLOR
LIFE SKILLS COUNSELLOR
Starting at: $28.51/hour
OPTIONS NORTHWEST is accepting applications, from qualified team oriented individuals who are passionate about providing person centred supports to individuals to live life their way.
Several casual positions of Life Skills Counsellor await qualified candidates:
Reporting to the Area Supervisor, a Life Skills Counsellor will act as a positive role model, supporting individuals with developmental disabilities and mental health diagnosis, to grow and develop their emotional aptitude and rational decision-making skills as well as foster and develop basic life skills, knowledge and meaningful relationships.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Possess a completed post secondary education in a Human Services field.
- With experience supporting persons living with both developmental disabilities and mental health diagnosis, including fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and behavioural challenges is required.
- Additionally, experience working with the Justice System is considered a strong asset.
- An attitude that respects the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality
- Effective verbal & written communication skills & interpersonal & organizational abilities
- Excellent observational/analytical/assessment skills
- Ability to administer medications safely
- Ability to effectively respond to crisis situations & follow behaviour support plans
- Sounds knowledge of household management
- First Aid with CPR certificate
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Certification (NCI)
- A willingness and ability to work shift work on a casual/short notice basis
- Ability to participate in ongoing training
- Ability to follow agency directives and “duties of workers” under the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Valid driver’s licence and use of own vehicle may be required
- A current police records check (vulnerable sector) is a requirement, only upon a conditional offer of employment
OPTIONS NORTHWEST is committed to providing accommodations, on request throughout the interview and employment process, and if accommodation is required, we will work with applicants to meet their needs.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, detailed resume and agency application form, including copies of First Aid with CPR and NCI certificates and 3 references to:
95 North Cumberland street
Thunder Bay, ON P7A 4M1
PHONE: (807) 344-4994
Fax: (807) 346-5811
We wish to thank all applicants who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org